This month, much of the Gospel-believing world will celebrate the 500th anniversary of Martin Luther’s putting up 95 theses, or statements, against the Roman Catholic application of “indulgences.” The 95 theses of October 31, 1517 were one in a fairly long line of objections to unbiblical teachings and emphases by Roman popes, cardinals, bishops, theologians, and priests. They were short sentences Luther believed to be true and was willing to stand for and debate.
I am no Martin Luther. I never will be. I’m an ordinary Christian dude who serves in the church and is trying to love his wife and raise his kids and see some people saved and kill his own sins, day by day. No one will remember me a hundred years after I’m dead (if Jesus doesn’t return first), and no one will commemorate this little blog post 500 years from now (if Jesus doesn’t come back first). But in memory of my Christian brother, here are some statements (I only had 26) on contemporary Christianity and the Christian life that I stand for, and would be willing to debate.
- Only God can make you love God.
- Jesus Christ loves to save sinners.
- It is good that Jesus Christ loves to save sinners, because every human being walking the earth right now was born a spiritually dead sinner.
- Men who are still in their sins chafe under and rebel against the kingship of God.
- God’s Kingdom is one that fights to save those who want to kill it.
- Men and women are not the same.
- It is a part of God’s good design that men and women are not the same.
- A culture that denies that men and women are different will not do well at teaching men how to be good men or women how to be good women.
- Marriage is God’s creation, and He designed it as the union of a man to his wife for life.
- Young, married Christians should be delighted at the prospect of having large families at the expense of their creature comforts, knowing how much their God values children.
- There is no way to simultaneously affirm sin and be obedient to God.
- Homosexual activity is sin.
- There will be many men and women in resurrected bodies enjoying Jesus for eternity who once lived in homosexual sin, but who were then washed through the grace of God.
- There will be many men and women enjoying Jesus for eternity who were washed from all sorts of sins.
- The primary thing standing between a man and the Kingdom of God is not bad information but a bad heart.
- God gives new hearts to those He saves.
- If a man wants to be around a bunch of nice people who are just like him, he does not want the Christian life.
- If a man is impatient, he will not be a good evangelist, and all Christians are called to be evangelists.
- Those who do not care about the lost throughout the world do not know Jesus very well, if at all.
- If your gospel never prompts you to take risks, it isn’t Jesus’ Gospel.
- If you are more passionate about a present political kingdom than the global growth of faith in Jesus Christ, your primary allegiance is to the wrong kingdom.
- God saves by grace through faith alone in Christ alone.
- If I say one thing and the Bible says another, I am wrong.
- The Bible is good and is wholly true.
- It is sin that brought death into the world, and one day Jesus will cast death into a lake of fire.
- Jesus is coming back, and when He does He will make all things right and raise those who love Him and have believed in Him to eternal life.
Happy early Reformation Day, all.
Stay faithful in the Lord, and keep reforming.